Pages

Monday, October 30, 2017

DIY Pretend Play Kitchen Set

We have been thinking of gifting a play pretend kitchen set for LX's two year old birthday. We are a big fan of wooden toys and furniture so ideally we wanted something that is wooden and more sturdy. Somehow it became a mini project for me to build my dream kitchen! It is such a big item and we wasn't sure we have space to house this kitchen set but I'm sure that we wanted her to have her very own kitchen set some day.

Pretty kitchen sets I have came across while researching on which to get.
Kids Kraft has the prettiest kitchen set. This is the wooden vintage play set that caught my eyes. The downside is on top of the price, you have to pay additional shipping fee to ship it from US to SG. too cumbersome and expensive.
All gray vintage kitchen set from Pottery Barn Kids. If only we have a bigger house! US has the nicest kid kitchen set and of course the house they stay are so much biggest than ours.
So I scrapped the ideal of looking at kitchen set that are from overseas and started looking at locally.

This is too cute! SMEG play pretend fridge from oh happy fry. I would like to own the real one in my house one day too.

#dayrehomes #dayremummies #DIY #dayremums
they have the MICKI stove play set in mono colours.
the mini kitchen set looks not too bad. wasn't sure what colours I was after at this point. I'm sure it will be either pink, white, grey! black is a little too harsh and don't seemed to match LX's room.
Eventually we settled for this IKEA Duktig kitchen set because Is affordable and is wooden plus I always like the idea that I can #DIY it into our very own unique kitchen set by doing #IKEAHACK - spraying and painting it into pastel colours.

We bought it two week prior to her birthday and only had the time to spray and repaint it two days before her birthday.
Was pretty excited about it and the hub is actually game for it. He is the one who went ahead to buy the kitchen set when I was still very undecided if we should get it due to space constraints and at that point we are also thinking of getting her a new bed. So we bought this before the bed. lol. Had to reshuffled the furnitures in her room a little to accommodate everything and I really hate clutter.
While I was away, the hub moved things and it became so inconvenient for me to access to her wardrobe and drawers. I had to shift things around and are damn happy to see that everything is back to where I wanted it to be.
This is what we bought for this #miniproject. Rust-oleum metallic copper spray and sandpaper from home fix.

Frenchic furniture paint in ballet pink from some random contact online. Those office resellers do not carry the full range of colours and we made wasted trips. To buy it locally online, you have to pay hefty shipping fees. Such a dilemma and thankful the hub found this seller that is selling it from home which happens to be near my mum's place.
So I wasn't keen to use the spray paint because I remember how smelly and toxic it was when we used it on our typewriter years back. I wanted something that is all natural and safe for babies.

Are happy to find Frenchie paint which is all natural, environmental friendly chalk and mineral furniture paint which totally fits my criteria. I like that they have it in my fav pastel colors for selection too! Was torn between mint/white and pink/white, settled for the latter.
papa seng unboxing and trying to figure out which are the ones required to be spray and painted. this is the toughest of all, totally clueless as to which is which.
the cute stove that comes with lights as if you are really cooking with fire.
this is how you should make the tape stand for easy and even spraying. we used a lot of scotch tapes on it.

bye silver colour!
we decided to spray the little accessories first because it is the easiest to identify among the so many parts. uneven spraying if you look at it closely.

eventually the hubs use thinner to remove the spray and redo it again. he couldn't stand the unevenness.
the legs of the kitchen set and tape.
the outline of the stove.

i did a bad job at covering the front and he had to redo it himself. concluded that I'm better at commanding then doing. 😂
the rod that holds the pots and utensil. just re using the box that comes with it so that we won't spray leave traces on the walls.
accessories of the kitchen all turned into rose gold. a lot of newspapers and cardboards are used for this #miniproject.

loving the colour. we had to wait for it to dry before spraying the second layer. the kaisu hub sprayed a total of three layers and made me walk to the nearest mall to get another bottle of spray which was totally unnecessary.
is a must have photo of the unsung hero. the doer/executer who spent a tonnes of effort. sitting at the staircase to get them all sprayed.

Thanks God for the good weather! I recalled the very next day it was raining heavily for the whole day.
while waiting for those accessories to dry, we started to paint the planks. so difficult to identify which to paint cause we are not painting it in full pink.

we didn't get the professional brush since we reckon that it is going to be a one off kind of thing. tried using the sponge but it didn't work quite well, managed to find a brush which we used previously for painting our walls and it works.
the soft pastel pink. lying them just outside our house for drying.
yay. we are almost there.
the rest outside my neighbour house. told them not to complain about us 😂
rearrange and left it at the corner of the stairs overnight for drying and making sure that we are not blocking anyone if they were to use the stairs.

nowadays social media is very powerful, a bit of dismay they might just snap a photo and upload to FB.
the final raw kitchen with no accessories and the lighting is pretty bad in the spot of the room. this is the best I can captured for now. It is actually incomplete and WIP, i bought some knob which we yet to put it on the cupboard and is missing a wall backdrop in the middle which I haven got the time to do it.

In the meantime, LX is happy with this and she is making me tea, cooking eggs and serving me cupcakes everyday. 😂

#winnieDIY #LXroom

No comments :